Signs of Stress in Women
There are different physical and emotional signs of stress in women. Women should be on the look out for stress symptoms as soon as they appear, to reduce the risk of falling victims of a more serious illness.
What is Stress?
Stress can be defined in a simple way as a mental state which is caused by strain or tension. It can be a long term or a short term health issue.
Stress is actually very common to everybody and it will probably be experienced by all individuals at some point in their lives. However, it has been found that women are more susceptible to stress than men.
Women get more nervous and exhausted when they are facing stressful circumstances or events.
The most common reasons for women to experience stress are:
• work- related problems
• relationship problems
• financial problems
These problems may also be caused by internal factors such as loneliness, health problems and death of a loved one.
Physical signs of stress in women:
• Persistent Headaches. Some women suffering from chronic stress will experience headaches almost on a daily basis, these are also known as tension headaches.
• Backache, neck ache and muscular aches and pains that don’t seem to go away.
• Stomach cramps, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and diarrhea may be observed as well. A person suffering from severe stress may even develop stomach ulcers.
• Insomnia. If a woman suffers from great stress, it will be difficult for her to be able to sleep at night. This lack of sleep may go on for several nights and can cause severe headache and irritability.
• High blood pressure.
• Irregular monthly cycle.
• Difficulty in breathing and chest tightness.
• Loss of sexual interest.
• Rashes and skin diseases may be observed.
• Weight gain or weight loss also occurs as a reaction caused by stress.
At times, these symptoms of stress can create a deeper outcome on a woman’s health and mind. She may start abusing the ingestion of alcohol, beginning to smoke, or even taking drugs.
Emotional signs of stress in women:
• Feeling overwhelmed and helpless.
• Anger and mood swings.
• Persistent worrying.
• Difficulty making decisions.
• Lack of concentration.
These signs and symptoms can lead to more negative reactions like low self esteem, anxiety and depression.
It is interesting to see that many of these signs of stress are very similar to the signs of depression in women. This, of course, means that between stress and depression there is only a fine line that can be easily crossed if we don’t take the necessary precautions.
Knowledge is Power
Knowing the stress symptoms in women is essential. It gives you the power to acknowledge that something is not right and needs correction.
There are different ways to make relaxation an integral part of your life.
You may also look for stress relief games that would enable you to forget your problems and be lightened up.
Always keep in mind that stress has an ill effect on a person’s health and it shouldn’t be taken lightly.
Return from Signs of Stress in Women to How to Deal with Stress
Return from Signs of Stress in Women to Anxiety and Depression Home